OU students, faculty, staff, and independent scholars are welcome to visit the Western History Collections for research. To prepare for your visit please view our policies on use of the WHC Reading Room and Photocopying.
Navigation Guides for Online Resources
These quick guides will assist in navigating some of our online resources, such as the Digital Collections and catalog searching.
About the Western History Collections
The Western History Collections is a special collection within the University of Oklahoma Libraries system. Its purpose is to enhance the University Libraries general collection on the history of the American West; to support the research and teaching programs of the University of Oklahoma; and to provide opportunities for research through the acquisition, preservation, and access of materials relating to the development of the Trans-Mississippi West and Native American cultures.
- Learn more about Manuscripts at WHC
- Learn more about the WHC Library (Books and Periodicals)
- Learn more about Photographs at WHC
Bob Burke Collection: The Great Stars of Western American Film, Television, and Music
Currently on display in the reading room is an exhibit of signed photographs of many great stars of western American movies, television, and song. The collection once belonged to noted Oklahoma author and attorney, Bob Burke.
Among the famous faces and signatures you will recognize in this exhibit are Dale Evans and Roy Rogers (pictured at left), James Garner, Charlton Heston, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, Clayton Moore, Clint Eastwood, and Will Rogers. Stop by and take a look!
Planning a Visit
Are you planning a research trip to the Western History Collections? Here's a checklist to ensure you are prepared:
- Check our hours of operation
- Check the OU catalog for the collections you want to see
- Make sure they aren't already online
- E-mail us to let us know you are coming
- Review our reading room and photocopy policies (see left column)
- View our FAQ page for other details such as parking