Welcome to this Guide to Resources!
Resources in the History of Science Collections
The History of Science Collections is a major respository for six centuries of the printed record of science, containing nearly 100,000 items - books, periodicals, encyclopedias, textbooks, atlases, and other materials.
The Collections serves as a focal point for research because of its rich holdings of original materials from the 15th century to the present and because of its substantial collection of secondary research materials.
For more on the Collections:
- Online Galleries
- Digitized Books
- Incunabula (books printed before 1500)
- Title Page Scans
For more info on searching for scientists' works see: "Primary Sources - Scientists' Writings"
Guide to Resources - About this Guide
PURPOSE OF THIS GUIDE
This guide highlights materials that can be used for research and study in the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine.
For the most part, items listed in the pages of this Guide are books held in the History of Science Collections, Bizzell and OU Branch libraries, or books accessible through OU's many databases. In some cases, links to online resources beyond OU are included.
Lists of databases and journals relevant to research in History of Science, Technology, and Medicine are included in the companion guide: "Guide to Searching."
Database searching is recommended for access to the deeper content of the journal literature. For tips on using the online catalog and OU's many databases to find primary sources (original materials) and secondary sources (scholarly works in the field), see the companion guide: "Guide to Searching."
OVERVIEW OF THIS GUIDE
The different sections of this guide showcase the variety of materials available for research and study in the field. These materials serve as an introduction to the field for newcomers and a foundation for ongoing study for all levels of researchers.
- "Reference" Go here for lists of important research support materials like bibliographies, dictionaries, and encyclopedias. These can be useful as introductions to topics as well as guides to scholarship in particular areas of study.
- "About the HSTM Field" Go here for lists of books relating to HSTM as a field of study, including works on historical methods, classic texts, thematic readers showcasing recent scholarship, and other topics.
- "Award-Winning Books" Go here to see lists of books that have been awarded prestigious prizes. These include scholarly works as well as books meant for a broad readership. To view books by current and past faculty, visiting scholars, and History of Science Department degree recipients, see: "OU-Affiliated Works"
- Introductory Works Go here for lists of books providing introductions to a wide range of topics in the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine (organized by "Series", "Topics", and "Sci Disciplines"). Lists of advanced works and other notable series are found under "Notable and Advanced Series"
- Primary Sources Go here for help finding original research materials. This includes guides to locating primary source materials as well as examples of the types of materials available for study at OU libraries and other collections (organized by "Guides", "Local Collections", "Scientists' Writings", "Microforms", and "Thematic Readers").
- "Internet" Go here for a peak into the world of online resources for the study of the History of Science, Technology, and Medicine. This is a select list of resources, intended to showcase the variety of materials accessible to researchers.