Why and How is the Library Reviewing Databases?
The OU Libraries completed a comprehensive review of subscriptions to databases in 2019, with the aim of reducing our annual database spend. This review was a part of the OU Libraries' efforts to address continuing increases in database subscription costs and achieve the budget reductions that the university mandated through FY20.
In reviewing database subscriptions, the University Libraries considered the following criteria:
- Resource coverage, specifically overlap and full text availability
- Resource uniqueness
- Alternate access options
- Subject area value
- Current price and price inflation trend
- Cost per use
- Terms of purchase/license
- Fairness across academic areas; to the greatest extent possible, cancelations will be distributed equitably
A number of databases were excluded from consideration in the review. Databases were excluded for the following reasons:
- The resource is paid by another funding mechanism, such as the Oklahoma Department of Libraries, an academic department, a college, or a gift fund.
- The resource has been identified as core.
- The resource was a one-time purchase, has no cost associated with it, or is open access.
- The resource is a major reference work included in a current publisher agreement.
Resources Identified for Cancelation
The Libraries identified the following databases for cancelation:
|Annual Reviews* Access to all AR titles through 2019 will be retained||1/1/20|
|Art Index Retrospective||7/1/20|
|Cabell's Directory of Publishing Opportunities||5/1/20|
|Contemporary Authors No new content after 2019; previous content will remain available.||12/31/19|
|Education Index Retrospective||7/1/19|
|Encyclopedia of Life Sciences||1/1/20|
|Grove Dictionary of Art Online||7/1/20|
|Humanities & Social Sciences Index Retrospective||7/1/20|
|Intelex Past Masters: Aquinas, St. Augustine, Motif-Index only||7/1/19|
|Library Literature & Information Science Retrospective||7/1/20|
|Poetry Criticism No new content after 2019; previous content will remain available.||12/31/19|
|Shock & Vibration Digest||3/1/20|
|Short Story Criticism No new content after 2019; previous content will remain available.||12/31/19|
|Something About the Author No new content after 2019; previous content will remain available.||12/31/19|
|Worldcat Local Access to WorldCat will be retained.||9/1/19|
*The Libraries will continue to subscribe to the most heavily used Annual Reviews titles: anthropology; ecology, evolution & systematics; political science; sociology; psychology.
**Includes Health and Psychosocial Instruments.
Questions or comments may be directed to your liaison librarian.
Materials Expenditures 2010 - 2018
Since 2010, the proportion of the materials budget that is spent on databases has steadily increased (see the charts below). Our effort is an attempt to slow this increase and to keep us within our materials budget.