The Academic Research page of this guide discusses research conduct and academic integrity with resources about intellectual property and ethical and legal expectations. We also encourage you to check out the interactive Citation Treeing tutorial in OU Libraries' Citations & Academic Integrity tutorials.
For assistance with formatting and style, OU offers the Writing Center, plus other services that can be found on the Communication & Career Resources page under Sharing Your Research. The Writing Center offers assistance as well as online guides, and the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) is another common online guide. The UC Davis Citation Style Guide links to field-specific citation guides in the sciences and other fields. Don't forget you can also reach out to an OU librarian! Email the STEM Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keeping Track of What You Read and Cite
- Highlight a PDF or webpage in-browser
- Write notes and annotations, then save your annotated highlights (or bookmark an entire PDF/webpage) as a link you can return to later
- Generate a citation for the linked resource
- Create a template to organize your annotations and resources
Zotero is free! Plus it's open source "and developed by an independent, nonprofit organization that has no financial interest in your private information. With Zotero, you always stay in control of your own data." Further resources for getting started with Zotero:
- Zotero printable PDF instructions
- Switching from EndNote to Zotero?
- Switching from Mendeley to Zotero?
- Zotero Style Repository
- Zotero annotated bibliographies in APA or Chicago style
Citation Style References
If you are writing for a class, your instructor should provide a preferred citation style for papers that you will write. If they have not, you can ask them for their preferred citation style. To find specific journal citation styles, search for the name of the journal plus "citation style" or "author guidelines" (most publications have a website where you can read their policies). If you need assistance finding a style guide, email email@example.com.