Why Use A Database?
Search a database to find journal, magazine, or newspaper articles. Some databases also provide access to other materials such as dissertations, book chapters, books, datasets, sound recordings, videos, etc.
- Some databases have the full text of articles. If not, follow these instructions to figure out if the library has the journal, or call the Research Help Desk at 405-325-4142 for assistance.
- What if the library does not have a journal article that you need? We can still get it for you via our interlibrary loan service. It's free! And articles often come electronically within a few days. For more information see the interlibrary loan page.
These databases are useful for finding articles and other materials about individual regions of the world. Also see this guide to International and Area Studies Resources.
- American Bibliography of Slavic and East European Studies (Ebsco)Multi-disciplinary coverage of East-Central Europe and the former Soviet Union. References to journal articles, books, book chapters, book reviews, dissertations, online resources, and selected government publications published in the United States and Canada.
- ARTFL (12th-20th C.; Univ. of Chicago)Full text of classic works of French literature, non-fiction prose, and technical writing.
- Asahi Shimbun AJWEnglish language digital version of the Japanese newspaper.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies (Ebsco)References to western-language articles and book chapters on East, Southeast, and South Asia. All subjects are covered with special focus on the humanities and social sciences.
- China Academic Journals (2000-present; CNKI)Full text of Chinese language journals in the areas of economics, politics, law, education, social sciences, literature, history, and philosophy.
- ClasePeriodica (Firstsearch)Multidisciplinary coverage of Latin America. References to journal articles, books, book reviews, essays, conference proceedings, and technical reports in Spanish, Portuguese, French, and English.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies (Library of Congress)Multidisciplinary coverage of Latin America. References to journal articles, books, book chapters, and conference papers in Spanish and English. OU Link to Article does not work in this database. You must search the Local Catalog for the title of the journal to see if we own it.
- HAPI, the Hispanic American Periodicals IndexMultidisciplinary coverage of Latin America and Hispanics in the U.S. References to journal articles, book reviews (through 2001), documents, original literary works in Spanish, Portuguese, and English.
- Index Islamicus (Proquest)Islam, the Middle East and the Muslim world, all time periods. References to books, book reviews, and journal articles.
- Integrum (In Russian)Access to a large collection of Russian and Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) databases covering a wide range of topics. Includes archives of mass media, such as newspapers, magazines, radio, and television, and reference information.
- JapanKnowledge Lib - Japan narejji Lib (In Japanese)Provides fully searchable and browsable English-Japanese and Japanese-English dictionaries, the Encyclopedia Nipponica and Encyclopedia of Japan, articles published in the weekly magazine Ekonomisuto, the Toyo Bunko, and other resources.
- Koseisha Zasshi Kijisakuin ShuseiReferences (in Japanese) to journal articles. Covers Meiji period to the present.
- RAMBI: Index of Articles on Jewish Studies (National Library of Israel)Selective bibliography of academic articles and books covering all fields of Jewish studies as well as the study of Eretz Israel and the State of Israel. OU Link to Article does not work in this database. You must search the Local Catalog for the title of the journal to see if we own it.
Ancient and Medieval History
These are the major databases for finding scholarly works about about ancient and medieval history. Also see the primary sources guide.
- International Medieval Bibliography (Brepolis)Contains citations to journal articles, books, conference proceedings, collected essays, Festschriften, and exhibition catalogues. Indexing is included for publications from 1967 to present covering medieval history from 400-1500.
- Iter: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance (including Iter Bibliography)Middle Ages and Renaissance (400-1700). References to journal articles, collections of essays, book reviews, conference proceedings, dissertations, and more. Other databases are also available through Iter. Note: in this database "OU Link to Article" is called "Check for Full Text"
- L'Année Philologique (Brepolis)Classical antiquity, from prehistory to the Middle Ages. References to journal articles, books, book reviews, conference proceedings, dissertations, festschriften.
- Oxford Bibliographies OnlineResearch guides for many subject areas, including classics and medieval studies.
- Tables of Contents of Journals of Interest to Classicists (TOCS-IN)Tables of contents of a selection of Classics, Near Eastern Studies, and Religion journals. OU Link to Article does not work in this database. You must search the catalog for the title of the journal to see if we own it.
These databases provide access to current newspaper articles. Dates vary, but generally, 1980s-present. See also Newspapers and Magazines Guide from the librarian for journalism and Microform Collections - Newspapers.
- Access World News (~1980s-present; Newsbank)A Metropolitan Library (OKC public) database. Sign up for a library card if you don't have one. Explore and stay informed on local and national topics, people and events in areas such as business, health, education, jobs and careers, political and social issues and more. Features a wide variety of credible, vetted news sources spanning the U.S., including The Oklahoman and Tulsa World.
- America's News (~1980s-present; Newsbank)America’s News provides a variety of news media such as newspaper articles, news blogs, magazines, newswires, journals, transcripts, videos, and web-only news sources. This resource includes access to over 3,600 national, regional, and local news sources, including the Oklahoman from 1981 onward and the Oklahoman Web Edition from 2013 onward.
- BBC Monitoring (via Factiva and Proquest)NOTE: Link goes to catalog. Choose region of interest.
Provides news and information based on round-the-clock monitoring of radio, TV, press, internet and news agency sources around the world. Reports are translated into English from more than 100 languages.
- Black Life in America, Series 3 (1976-present; Newsbank)Part of the America's News database. American and global news sources, including over 400 current and historical Black publications.
- Ethnic Newswatch Complete (1959-present; Proquest)Newspapers, magazines, and periodicals of the ethnic, minority and native press.
- Factiva (academic edition)Full text of articles from U.S. and world newspapers and business and company information. NOTE: many newspapers are NOT available in the academic version of Factiva.
- Hispanic Life in America, Series 3 (2010-present; Newsbank)Part of the America's News database, including 700 Spanish-language newspapers and periodicals
- U.S. Newspapers (ProQuest)Search and view the full text of US papers:
-Chicago Tribune, 1849-within days of the current issue;
-Los Angeles Times, 1881-within days of the current issue;
-New York Times, 1851-one month ago;
-Wall Street Journal, 1889-within days of the current issue;
-Washington Post, 1877-2006, 2008-within days of the current issue.
(The UK's Guardian and Observer, 1791-2003, is also included in this search as are papers from the Historically Black Newspapers collection.)
- International News - LinksLinks to news and media sites around the world.
- Newspaper Source Plus (~1980s-present; Ebsco)More than 860 full-text newspapers, and more than 857,000 television and radio news transcripts.
- Newswires (Ebsco)Near real-time access to top world-wide news from Associated Press on a continuous basis. Provides access to the last 30 days of articles in full-text.
- Nexis Uni (~1970s-present; LexisNexis)Features 15,000+ news, business, and legal sources, including U.S. Supreme Court decisions back to 1790. Html text only. No images.
- NYTimes.com (Current)An account is required to access NYTimes.com Click here to set up your NYTimes.com account.
- Oklahoman Archives (The Oklahoman, formerly The Daily Oklahoman, 1901-March 2022)—Update: as of 5-2-23, the database is still available. Due to the large size of the archive, searches may need to be limited with a date range in order to return results.
Because Gannett found this database unprofitable, beginning February 3rd, 2022, the full Oklahoman Archives will no longer be available. Access to the most current 30 days will continue. For other ways to access online content see this blog post.
- Oklahoma News (~1980s-present; Newsbank)A Metropolitan Library (OKC public) database. Sign up for a library card if you don't have one. Provides full-text access to dozens of newspapers across Oklahoma. Includes full-text and image editions of The Oklahoman and Tulsa World.
- Tulsa World (2019-three months ago; Newsbank)From 2019. Most recent 3 month(s) not available. Also via Ebsco: 1997-2014 (select articles)
- U.S. Major Dailies (Available from the OKC library; Proquest)A Metropolitan Library (OKC public) database. Sign up for a library card if you don't have one. US Major Dailies provides access to the five most respected US national and regional newspapers: the New York Times, The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune.
- Wall Street Journal (current)Users must create an account using their OU credentials in order to use this resource and will need to refresh their access on an annual basis.
Essential Databases: Secondary Literature Of History
These are the major databases that cover history or history of science.
- America: History and Life (Ebsco)U.S. and Canadian topics, prehistory to the present. References of links to the full text of journal articles, books, book reviews, dissertations, etc.
- Historical Abstracts (Ebsco)World history (except the U.S. and Canada), 1450 to the present. References or links to the full text of journal articles, books, book reviews, dissertations, etc.
- History of Science, Technology, and Medicine (Ebsco)References or links to the full text of journal articles, conference proceedings, books, book reviews, dissertations, etc.
- Reviews in American History"..Essays examining landmark works written by leading historians are also regularly featured. The journal covers all areas of American history, including cutting-edge and more traditional sub-fields."
These databases cover history and other disciplines.
- Academic Search Complete (Ebsco)References and links to the full text of popular and scholarly articles and book reviews. Some PDF content going back as far as 1887.
- Google ScholarGoogle Scholar enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web.
When off campus, be sure to access Google Scholar settings > library links > type in University of Oklahoma.
- JSTORIncludes the full text and complete archives of core scholarly journals in many disciplines, some dating from the 1600s. Current issues may not be available.
- Project MuseFull text of scholarly journals in the humanities, arts, and social sciences.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global (was Dissertation Abstracts)Citations to dissertations and theses from 1861 to the present day. Over a million full-text dissertations are available for download in PDF format; most full text is for dissertations since 1997. Also includes UK & Ireland content.
NOTE: Many universities have started archiving dissertations locally rather than through this database. Try a search in Worldcat, note the name of the institution where the dissertation was written, and go to that institution's catalog to see if a copy is in a local repository.
Most OU dissertations are full text through summer 2013; after that date, find OU dissertations in SHAREOK.
Disciplines Other Than History
These databases provide access to material in various subject areas that have proven useful to history students in the past.
- Art Index (Ebsco)Includes materials on traditional art, art history, archaeology, architecture, fashion design, interior design, visual art, and non-western art. Materials indexed include journal articles, yearbooks, and museum bulletins. Includes multi-lingual material.
- ATLA Religion Database (Ebsco)Biblical studies, world religions, church history, etc. References and some full text to journal articles, essays, book reviews.
- Bibliography of Indigenous Peoples in North America (Ebsco)Formerly Bibliography of Native North Americans (BNNA). Native North American history, life, and culture. References to journal articles, books, essays, conference papers, dissertations, U.S. government documents.
- Black Studies Center (Proquest)Scholarly journals, commissioned overview essays by top scholars in Black Studies, and historic indexes. Includes the Schomburg Studies on the Black Experience, the Black Studies Periodicals Database (formerly International Index to Black Periodicals), the Black Literature Index, and historical black newspapers such as the Chicago Defender.
- Communication Source (Ebsco)Scholarly articles covering communication, linguistics, rhetoric and discourse, speech-language pathology, media studies.
- Contemporary Women's Issues (Gale)Indexes a variety of materials from journal articles to fact sheets that focus on contemporary and international women's issues in areas such as education, health, legal status, reproductive rights, and feminism. Some full text.
- ERIC (Ebsco)Education literature 1966-present, including journal articles and ERIC documents.
- Ethnic Newswatch Complete (1959-present; Proquest)Newspapers, magazines, and periodicals of the ethnic, minority and native press.
- Film & Television Literature Index (Ebsco)Bibliographic database covering the subjects of film and television theory, preservation and restoration, writing, production, cinematography, technical aspects, and reviews. Indexes both scholarly and trade publications.
- HeinOnlineLegal periodicals, code of federal regulations, legal classics, treaties and agreements, U.S. Attorney General opinions, U.S. Federal Legislative History, U.S. Presidential Library, U.S. statutes at large, the U.S. Supreme Court Library, and more.
- International Bibliography of Theatre and Dance (Ebsco)Indexes titles such as Canadian Theatre Review, Modern Drama, PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art, Research in Drama Education, Studies in Theatre and Performance, TDR: The Drama Review, Theater, and many more. Full text available.
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (Proquest)Covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics. Complete coverage is also given to various fields of linguistics including descriptive, historical, comparative, theoretical and geographical linguistics.
- MEDLINE (Ebsco)Index and abstracts to journals published internationally, covering medicine, dentistry, nursing, and other health fields.
- MLA International Bibliography (Ebsco)Covers topics in literature, language, linguistics, and folklore. Materials indexed include journals, books, working papers, and conference proceedings.
- Music Index (Ebsco)International index covering international music periodicals with a broad range of subject matter. Materials indexed include historiographic, ethnographic, and musicological data, reviews, tapes and performances.
- PAIS Index (Proquest)Public and social policy issues, foreign and domestic. References to journal articles, government documents, books, pamphlets, yearbooks, directories.
- SocINDEX (Ebsco)Sociology and other social and behavioral sciences. References to journal articles, books, and conference papers.
- SportDiscus (Ebsco)International index that covers all aspects of sports, fitness, recreation, and related fields. Materials indexed include journal articles, book chapters, conference proceedings, audiovisual materials, and websites related to all aspects of sports and fitness.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts (Proquest)Covers international literature in political science and its complementary fields, including international relations, law, and public administration/policy.
Video, Images, Audio
These databases cover still images, video, and audio. See also the Film and Media Studies and the Audio and Video Resources at OU guides.
- American Archive of Public BroadcastingAn initiative to digitally preserve and make accessible public broadcasting radio and television programming,
- American History in Video (Alexander Street Press)Access to commercial and governmental newsreels, archival footage, public affairs footage, and important documentaries related to American history.
- ARTstorRepository of over two million images that include collections from a wide variety of civilizations, time-periods, and media. The images are drawn from different sources, such as museums, archaeological teams, photo archives, slide collections, and art reference publishers. NOTE: Artstor's content and resources are moving to the JSTOR platform. Currently, 96% of Artstor’s content is available on JSTOR. In the coming months, the remaining 4% will migrate and the Artstor website will be fully retired on August 1, 2024. The JSTOR platform will retain the same functionality as Artstor.
- Avon: Academic Video Online (Alexander Street Press)Streaming academic video content, including acclaimed and award-winning interdisciplinary documentaries, independent non-fiction films, training and instructional videos, foreign films and shorts, and other educational titles. NOTE: AVON video access is mediated. This means that any video not currently licensed for use will require the user to request access. Access is being enabled for class use with instructor approval.
- British Pathé Archives85,000 historic films from 1896 to 1976, includes footage from Britain and around the globe. The archive is particularly strong in its coverage of the First and Second World Wars.
- Kanopy Streaming VideoAccess to streaming video supporting classes in the arts, business, health, media/communication, science, humanities and education. Effective Kanopy video access is mediated. This means that any video not currently licensed for use will require the user to request access. Access is being enabled for class use with instructor approval.
- Library of Congress - Prints and PhotographsDigitized photographs, fine and popular prints and drawings, posters, and architectural and engineering drawings.
- New World Cinema: Independent Features and Shorts (Alexander Street Press)Streaming full-length feature films from leading independent distributors and award-winning short films.
- Smithsonian Open AccessDigital assets that are created, stored, or maintained by the Smithsonian. This might include text, still images, sound recordings, research datasets, 3D models, collections data, and more.
- Swank Digital CampusSwank's streaming platform offers access to over 25,000 feature films, documentaries, foreign films, and TV shows from the largest movie studios, including Walt Disney, Warner Bros., Paramount, Columbia Pictures, Lions Gate, MGM, and others. NOTE: Swank Digital Campus access is mediated. This means that any video not currently licensed for use will require the user to request access. Access is being enabled for class use with instructor approval.
- Television News of the Civil Rights Era (1950-1970; Univ. of Virginia)Aims to collect, digitize, and present television news footage from the period.