Historical Periodicals, Books, and Other Printed Matter
Electronic and other access to historical magazines, journals, books, and other printed material.
A note about microfilm: some of the materials on this page are on microfilm. Microfilm must be requested via Sooner XPress. Readers are located on the 4th Floor of Bizzell Library, in and just outside of the Government Documents office.
- America's Historical ImprintsIncludes broadsides, playbills, advertisements, plays, promptbooks, etc. printed in America in the 18th and 19th centuries.
- American Antiquarian Society Historical PeriodicalsArticles ranging from 1691 through 1852 from periodicals imported by colonists or printed in America.
- American Periodicals Series OnlineProvides access to over 1,100 periodicals that first began publishing between 1740 and 1900, including special interest and general magazines, journals, and other historically significant periodicals.
- British Newspapers (1600-1900)Full text access to approximately 1300 British newspapers.
- British PeriodicalsFull text access to hundreds of British periodicals published between the 1680s and the 1930s.
- Early English Books OnlineFacsimiles of books, tracts, pamphlets, etc. published in the British Isles and colonies between 1473-1700.
- Eighteenth Century Collections OnlineFull text access to works published in the UK during the 18th century.
- London Low LifeFull-text and color digital images of rare books, ephemera, maps and other materials relating to the 18th, 19th and early 20th century London. Of particular interest to theatre historians: tourist guides describing theatres, ticket prices, etc.
Historical Periodicals, cont'd
- 19th Century Theatre Periodicals (British)From the British Library, the Theatre Museum, and the Bodleain Library of Oxford University. Historical newspapers and periodicals publishing news of the theatre. MICROFILM
- American Theatre Periodicals of the 19th and Early 20th CenturiesTheater news from New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington D.C., Philadelphia and other venues is covered in this collection of periodicals. Some titles focus on a broader scale of performing arts, including vaudeville, magic, opera and folklore. MICROFILM
- 20th Century British Theatre Periodicals (1901-1939)Early 20th century theatre news from British newspapers and magazines. MICROFILM
- Historical Newspapers from ProQuestFull page images of several American and a couple of UK newspapers, going back as far as 1791 (the Observer - UK) and 1857 (the New York Times).